In this post, you will learn the special relationship between hair and spiritual energy and how to maintain, if not increase, both harmoniously.
Scientifically speaking, hair is one of the defining characteristics of mammals including humans. Most parts of our body, except for some areas, is covered with hair. The most noticeable parts of the body where hair grows are the face and the head.
The hair on your head is an indicator of youth, vigor, and your general state of health. It protects you from the sun’s ultraviolet rays and helps insulate heat in the body.
In a sociological context, hair reflects one’s identity, personality, and self-expression. It is regarded as a symbol of sexuality and signifies belief, culture, and social influence. The condition, style, and appearance of one’s hair have a great impact on one’s self-esteem.
Other than its scientific benefits and societal significance, did you know that your hair has spiritual meaning? Many years ago, in different parts of the world, people have been conserving the energy and spirituality of hair.
It is believed that hair is a natural extension of our nervous system, balancing the electromagnetic field in our body. The tips of our hair serve as an antenna that gathers energy from the universe. It then transmits the energy to the frontal lobes of our brain to stimulate a higher level of consciousness.
The belief in the connection of hair and spirituality do vary across religions, cultures, and periods. Despite the differences with hair’s cultural and religious significance, hair is commonly regarded as a source of strength and power. It is emblematic of a person’s physical strength and virility.
In this article, you will learn more about and be given references on:
- The relationship between hair and energy
- The spiritual energy of curly hair
- Long hair and spirituality
- How to protect the power in the hair
What Does Hair Mean Spiritually?
The hair can reflect our innermost emotions and traits and is a unique source of spiritual power and energy. It protects the top of our head where our crown chakra is located. The crown chakra lets you access the highest states of consciousness and be connected with the universe.
The Native Americans believe that their hair connects them to nature and the life force that surrounds them. This was proven effective during the Vietnam war when the indigenous people were scouting lands. The natives with longer hair had better intuition than the ones who had their hair cut.
Yogi Bhajan believes that hair is one of the most valuable resources of human’s vital energy. Bhajan was a yoga teacher, spiritual master, and an entrepreneur who introduced Kundalini yoga and Sikhism to the Americans.
The practice of Sikhism allows one’s hair to grow naturally out of respect in God’s creation. From the yogic perspective, hair is nature’s gift that helps raise the Kundalini energy (creative life force) within us. The power of hair increases vitality, intuition, and tranquility.
Bhajan’s teachings also state that your hair produces the essential nutrients when you let it attain its full length. This leads to a more efficient memory, greater strength, and improved stamina and patience.
What does curly hair mean spiritually?
People with curly hair are perceived to have a fire personality associated with leadership, passion, aggression, and intuition. Most of the legends, classic myths, and fairytales regarded curly-haired women as dangerous. But in the aspect of spirituality, curly hair is considered divine.
The founders of world religions are described as having pure wool-like hair, soft, curly, and cylindrical hair. Spiraling curls of one’s hair signify the spiraling power that causes galaxies, stars, planets, and atoms to spin. Spiral is the most profound motion of the universe as it dances in spirals and rotations.
Spiral-coiled hair enhances one’s ability to pick up the most detailed levels of energy. The curls are like high-tension wires that transmit divine energy at a spiraling speed. It facilitates spiritual awareness, telepathy, and energy receptivity.
Does long hair take away energy?
Apart from being an extension of one’s identity, the spiritual meaning of long hair has always been a great deal. Certain faiths and cultural beliefs link weakness to cutting hair as it loses its receptiveness to energy. It takes years to regain the hair’s ability to send out energy from within and receive energy from the universe.
In the early years, people have known long hair’s spiritual meaning. Slaves were punished by having their hair cut. The oppressors believed that this act would make the slaves yield, taking away their energy and power.
The Mongol leader Genghis Khan ordered the people of China to cut their hair short. Genghis Emperor reckoned that the Chinese were intelligent people who would not let themselves be vanquished. Thus, he had everyone cut their hair and have bangs to impede the development of their knowledge and intuition.
You may have encountered or heard about the story of Samson. The biblical figure mentioned in the Book of Judges had long hair that gave him superhuman strength. Samson lost his power when Delilah cut his hair short when he was asleep.
Protecting Your Hair’s Positive Spiritual Energy
Now that you fully understand long hair’s spiritual meaning, you may be curious about how to conserve its energy. Below are some hair care tips:
- Use natural hair products. Protect your long hair’s spirituality by using organic shampoos, conditioners, and hair treatment products. Avoid the ones with strong chemicals that can be harmful to your scalp and hair.
- Maintain a healthy diet. It is great to work from the inside to keep your hair in good shape. Increase the intake of fruits, vegetables, and healthy fats to nourish your hair and protect it from dry or split ends. You may also apply coconut oil or almond oil overnight. Also, your hair absorbs more vitamin D when you let it dry naturally in the sun.
- Use a comb made of wood. One of the spiritual benefits of long hair and using a wooden comb is keeping the electromagnetic field intact. This also prevents static electricity and maintains the energy of your crown chakra.
- Wash out the stress. Negative energy builds up on your hair after a tiring day or an emotional argument. Try to wash the negativity and stress out of your hair to cleanse your scalp from this blockage. However, remember not to over wash your hair to retain the natural oils.
- Be mindful of your hairstyle. Wearing your hair up during the day is said to absorb life force energy and stimulate the pineal gland. The pineal gland secretes melatonin that modulates the ability of hair to grow. At night, it is best to keep it down to be receptive of lunar energy and enhance spiritual perception.
- Cut your hair during the full moon. Different references on the spiritual significance of long hair have been mentioned above. Having a trim is like cutting your long hair’s spiritual benefits. If you need to cut your hair, do so when the moon is waxing. Cutting your hair during this time stimulates your hair to grow back quicker.
Our crowning glory is an essential element in our body that enhances our ability to stimulate natural and positive energy. Adapting the best practices above helps reap the spiritual benefits of long hair and protect your crown chakra. More than just the spiritual aspect, it’s also important to take care of your hair for personal health and grooming.